Thursday, October 15, 2009

An observation

Science fiction and, more specifically, Hollywood, has a theme of the world becoming more mechanical. More specifically, of biology becoming more mechanical. The Matrix, Star Trek, the Terminator series, and others all have this theme. I myself joked that I'd invent the Borg for my PhD research. 

But the theme is false to reality. In fact, the opposite is more true. Rather than biology moving towards machinery, machinery is becoming more biological. Computer interfaces better reflect the traits of the user. Medical solutions are less mechanical/surgical and more therapeutic. Electronic communication includes text, sound, and images. 

This is a profoundly good trend because it keeps people closer to their humanity. And it will only get stronger. The mechanical things that are visible in everyday life will continue to become less and less apparent. 

And now I need to stop "philosophizing" and get back to work (or perhaps this is my real work?...).

2 comments: