Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tissue engineering

It's what I want to do. And no, it has nothing to do with Kleenex. I am not getting a PhD so that I can spend my life engineering new ways to make blowing your nose more pleasurable. The goal of tissue engineering is to re-create biology tissues for replacement and repair of damaged ones. The closer you can get to the real thing, the better. For all the brilliant minds devoting their efforts to engineering, we can't do better than nature. We keep trying, and we can't do it. So instead, we take our inspiration from nature. It's called biomimetic engineering. It's good stuff.

In the meantime, I'm studying molecular biomechanics. Mechanical engineering on the teeny-tiny scale. Micro-meters and nano-neutons. The forces on cell nuclei and embryonic tissue. That kind of thing.

That's all I've got for now. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment